1210 Popes Valley Drive
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80919
bill (at) billpetro.com
MARKETING LEADER / SALES ENABLER
Accelerating Market Growth for the Enterprise and Its Products
Equipping Sales Professionals to Maximize Revenue
Technology marketing professional who bridges the gap between strategy and execution, having:
- Demonstrated ROI for Cloud Computing initiatives in customer Data Center evolution: Cisco Advanced Services
- Trained Fortune 100 sales teams to meet and exceed quota: Sales Opportunity Management Process
- Coached account teams worldwide to accelerate time-to-revenue: Channels & Alliances Management Process
- Launched obscure technologies internationally to achieve market prominence: Java™
- Helped mature small SaaS startup into power houses in the marketplace: USA.NET
A substantial record of achievement in Senior Management roles driving Product Development, Marketing, Strategy, and International Market Development. Successful 9 year career at EMC and 11 years at Sun Microsystems. Proven success in the marketing of: Cloud Computing, Virtualization, Storage, and Enterprise Management technologies.
An exceptional Sales Trainer consistently selected by management to develop today’s markets and build tomorrow’s top sales leaders and organizations. In-demand speaker who has delivered Reseller Sales accreditation training as well as press and customer presentations in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America.
An accomplished Technology Evangelist, Public Speaker, Author and Humorist poised to leverage the leading edge of technology in pursuit of global market growth. Publisher of the widely read blogs at www.billpetro.com and a respected Keynote Speaker at several successful technology summits, seminars, and business conferences worldwide.
CISCO SYSTEMS, Colorado Springs, CO 2010-present
Senior Manager, Data Center Enablement Architecture Lead 2015-present
Develops the Data Center Architecture Enablement Plan to drive seller readiness while collaborating with key stakeholders, to ensure sellers have the skills and knowledge necessary to support the Worldwide Architecture initiatives and Product Launches. Defines function-based Learning Maps to support comprehensive enablement in support of Cisco’s Data Center businesses. Oversees the content development and delivery strategy, and ensures consistent messaging is integrated into all Sales communities and enablement programs. Created sales enablement and global sales kits for:
- Second-generation hyper-converged offering: HyperFlex
- Next-gen cloud-scale SDN switches: Nexus 9200, 9300
- Pervasive network analytics: Cisco Tetration Analytics
Senior Manager, Cloud Business Development & Sales Enablement 2013-2014
Leds cloud enablement programs for Sales & Partners for the cloud management software portfolio, including the Self-service Catalog Portal and Orchestration Engine, at Cisco’s Cloud and Virtualization Group. Drove demand creation. Drove Global Field Marketing interaction across cloud and network management product lines.
Senior Manager, Product Management 2011-2013
Drove enablement program for Reseller Partner and Direct Sales across the Intelligent Automation Solutions Business Unit. Led Go To Market plan for next version of flagship Cloud software across Business Unit and external stakeholders.
- Defined and drove worldwide Field Enablement program and activities to speed time to revenue.
- Created and delivered training and tools for Cisco Intelligent Automation for Cloud to Field organizations.
- Enabled third-party training organizations to insure scalability worldwide.
- Drove GTM Plan to insure timely project completion to ensure outbound Product Marketing success.
Business Development Manager 2010-2011
Drove incremental business opportunities in the Advanced Services for Data Center practice, specializing in Cloud Computing. Focused on long term strategic opportunities and early adopter solutions by exploring business involving cloud architecture and virtualization service solutions.
- Presented directly to customers and at Customer Briefing Centers nation-wide to drive complex sales deals.
- Created and delivers Cloud Orchestration competitive training to Sales organizations.
- Engaged with Field and Practice Sales to accelerate all customer proposals.
- Proactively identified opportunities and mapped pipeline to expedite deals through appropriate channels.
- Sizes and scopes service levels to insure appropriate pricing for technology and architectural engagements.
- Continually aligned and updated sales collateral, Statements of Work, and built responses to RFPs to speed new sales.
EMC CORPORATION, Colorado Springs, CO 2000-2009
Senior Manager, Sales & Partner Development 2002-2009
Accelerated time to Revenue for current and new sales professionals. Drove demand generation through high-level customer engagements. Provided global direction to EMC’s direct and indirect sales forces through the delivery of training in products, strategy and messaging as well as sales methodologies and sales skills. Personally sold the EMC product at the enterprise level by delivering high level presentations to clients’ senior management at Executive Briefing Center and customer conferences.
- Delivered Demand Generation engagements for: CDW, Tech Data, Ingram Micro, Arrow, Avnet
- Drove and implemented Business Development programs with: VMware, Cisco, Brocade, Unisys
- Creatively enhanced the sales productivity of both Direct and Channel Sales professionals by delivering live sales methodology classes, creating and deploying a VMware Sales Training curriculum and coordinating the development and utilization of eLearning software for Partner Sales Accreditation. Achieved the largest ever number of accredited Partners.
Field Marketing Executive 2000-2002
Acting as Chief Marketing Officer for Divisional VP of Sales, personally drive business development and demand generation for the Western US geography. Represent corporate marketing to field sales, translating complex to business use.
- Deliver high-level sales presentations to executives to close key account deals.
- Drive the relationship for the EMC / Cisco / Oracle partnership, delivering executive customer seminar talks.
- Launch new high revenue products, delivering EMC Direct Sales and SE training across US to speed time to revenue.
USA.NET, Colorado Springs, Colorado 1999-2000
Senior Director, Business Development
Recruited by management to realize its vision for new markets, strategic OEM relationships, and more effective technology directions.
- Prompted the development of global and strategic business partnerships with large OEMs, platform vendors, and Wireless Information Device manufacturers resulting in preliminary engagement with Palm and Blackberry.
- Sold to the executive management of Research in Motion and Sun to promote USA.NET’s outsourced email offerings.
DMW WORLDWIDE, Colorado Springs, Colorado 1998-1999
Director of Marketing
Conceived and established the company’s strategic marketing direction while managing an annual budget. Directed the development of Product Strategy, Definition and Positioning, Channel Strategy, and Product Release in close alignment with personally managed Marketing Communications initiatives including PR, Advertising Agency Management and Budgeting, Trade Shows, Press Relations and Product Launches.
- Refocused the company’s marketing direction by advocating the restructuring of its product portfolio and the practice of online ad placement to achieve a differentiating value proposition for the corporation, resulting in streamlined product line.
- Rationalized the organization by managing Product Marketing and Marcom activities resulting in more effective trade show, product management and promotion activities.
Previous 11 years of success at Sun Microsystems as: International Marketing Development Director, Senior Product Marketing Manager-System and Storage Management Software, Sales Tools Manager, and Major Accounts Program Manager.
BA, History, University of California, Berkeley
Grad work toward MBA, Marketing, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Marketing Advisory Group: College of Business and Administration: University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Board of Advisers: Colorado Institute of Technology Transfer and Implementation (CITTI)
CERTIFICATIONS & ADDITIONAL TRAINING
The TAS Group Sales Methodology Certified Trainer: Target Account Selling, Selling to Senior Executives, Channel Account Management Process (CHAMP)
EMC Proven Professional